Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Exciting Days in AG

What I posted last Saturday on my Xanga blog

Exciting day in the Assemblies of God

As a 57 year old, AG lay person I have been intently praying and following interesting blogs before General Council; praying more and following General Council as much as possible while we were in Victoria. Well, that is when we were at the motel at night and could access my laptop. With the 3 hour time difference that meant watching sessions live was not an option. I got most of my news Thursday night from the Springfield newspaper. After we got home Friday night the SGF newspaper and blogger Rich Tatum's August 10 post (including the comments section) gave me the details I desired.

General Superintendent: George O. Wood
Assistant General Superintendent: L. Alton Garrison
General Secretary: John Palmer
AG World Missions Director: L. John Bueno (reelected)
AG US Missions Director: Zollie L. Smith, Jr.

I have a variety of thoughts on this. Briefly I will comment that I think the Assemblies of God has made a lot of progress in this General Council. I was very glad to see George Wood and Alton Garrison elected. There is open dialogue about a variety of things. There is tremendous progress in Zollie Smith, Jr, the first black man being voted to a national AG position .... as AG US Missions director. Also, there were great strides made for credentialed women, and younger male pastors (40 and under). Dr. Beth Grant was in the top three receiving votes for assistant superintendent. The resolutions regarding 'female/younger pastor' being elected to the Executive Presbytery had mixed progress... one passed and the other did not. I care very much about these measures and I feel significant progress was made. I pray for those who may have felt it was not enough progress in the overall voting, etc. May they be blessed with divine patience and tenacity as they serve the Kingdom wherever they are called to minister.

PROGRESS!!! In my perspective, it is exciting days in the Assemblies of God fellowship of churches.

"The Council Today" coverage at http://www.ag.org/ gives the overall report of the elections and business sessions. I am not sure this direct link will work... giving it a try.

Edit: Saturday afternoon updateOh, wow!!! I have mentioned before the Future AG blog site. I just saw that the response our General Superintendent-elect, George O. Wood, made at Future AG Friday afternoon (which I had not seen earlier) was reposted as an entry today. Look for the Saturday, August 11 post. I was deeply touched by this and the 5 comments thus far. The dialoguers see this blog exchange as groundbreaking and a 'defining moment' in our Assemblies of God history!!! Wahoo! for using 21st century technology to advance the work of the Kingdom of God!!!!!.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Patient advocate I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post.